Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Living Vicariously

I remember most than others do about grade school and high school. Don't ask me why I just do...it is lame.  Anyway I remember it was 3rd grade and continued into 4th grade, it was an obsession with Shel Silverstein and his book "Where the Sidewalk Ends."  I was never able to check the book out and read it cuz all the other kids always got to it before I did in the library.  And then the "coolness" wore off and I forgot about it, till this summer, I found it at a yard sale.  I bought it and brought it home to my kids and they weren't impressed till this weekend.  I have been reading it to my Cole buddy and he is really enjoying it, but I have to admit I think I am enjoying it more than him.  I think alot of the poems are over his head, they would have probably been over my head in the 4th grade. 

I am finding them full of useful information.  I want to share one with you that I have been thinking about.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be."


— Shel Silverstein

2 comments:

victoria said...

I loved this book in middle school. i used 'sick' as inspiration for getting out of going to school excuses ;)

Joleen said...

Karina is LOVING that book right now! :D